As summer makes its beginning, air-conditioners become almost a necessity. They have become home appliances that we cannot do without in today’s world. As the demand for ACs shoots north, competition among the manufacturers also rises. Some claim to offer energy-saving methods and lower electricity bills while others offer steep discounts in order to attract the customer.But which among the brands can you rely on and which are the Top 10 Air Conditioner Brands available in India?
Before we go to that list, let us look into some crucial aspects to be evaluated while buying air conditioners.
Basically, there are two kinds of air conditioners available for common use – window or a split air conditioner. Based on the size of your home, the cooling requirements differ – for a big room; a window ac might not provide sufficient cooling. Also, space constraints in setting up the machine become a problem. Ideally, split air-conditioners are suggested for areas where an outdoor unit can be set up. If you lack the space to set up the split ac motor outside, you can opt for a windows air conditioner. Other factors to keep in mind include-
Guarantee/ Warranty– This ranges from 2-7 years depending on the brand. Any replacement under the warranty period is for free. Most AC brands provide a 4-5 year warranty period on the compressor.
Energy star ratings– How much energy does your air conditioner save? A rating of 5 means your ac provides the maximum output in terms of cooling with lowest energy consumption. 1 star means very high electricity consumption.
Price– A good brand is all about providing overall excellence in terms of durability, longevity, etc. Hence, you may find that some brands are a little costlier than the others, but provide you with additional features to make life simpler.
Servicing – Brands are known for their reputation and this is where servicing comes in. You can sign up for an annual contract or service option with them to ensure that your AC lasts longer.
So now let’s get to the
List of Top 10 Air conditioner Brands in India
#10. O General
Being awarded 5 stars by the Bureau of Energy Efficiency for its energy saving modules, O General air has emerged as the winner in this list with maximum energy saving features. It is a brand that has captured the consumer electronics in India. The company stared off as a joint venture of ETA-ASCON STAR from Dubai and the Japanese Fujitsu General in 2000.
But in less than 2 decades, they have provided the market with top-notch air conditioners be it for the window ac systems or even the slit air conditioners. Along with maintaining consistency in quality, their budget ranges from Rs. 24,000 – Rs. 61,000 only.
Two models that you can consider here include the O General ASGA18FTTA-1.5 Hyper Tropical Wall Mounted Split AC priced and the O General AXGT18AATH-1.5 Window AC priced at Rs.51, 000 and Rs.33, 000 respectively.
Both of these are 1.5-ton ac’s and provide an amazing cooling experience. However, the split ac has some additional pros like-
- 5 star energy rating
- 5 year warranty period on compressor
- Up and down swing option
- Coanda airflow technology
- Economy mode, wireless remote, etc.
The windows version is cheaper than the split, but –
- It has 2 star energy ratings
- 4 year compressor warranty
So, if you do the math, a split ac from O General may cost you a bit more, but in the long run you save more with energy efficiency. However, if setting up a split system is an issue because of space constraint, and then the windows version is just fine at a lower cost.
Other models that you can consider here include the .75-ton ASGA09BMTA, the 1.0-ton ASGA12BMTA – 1.0 Ton and the bigger 2-ton ASGA24FMTA.
It is said that Japanese brands speak quality – and Daikin has been one of the top market conquerors for about a century at a global scale. Though it has created a niche in the world market, it has just arrived in the Indian market a couple of decades back and increased its manifold here.
This brand provides high-quality cooling at average and affordable prices. Windows ac start from about Rs 18,000 while the high-end versions of the split go up to Rs. 50,000.
A quick and high selling model from the brand includes the Daikin FTF50QRV16 Split AC, which pretty much offers you everything that you can expect on the technical front. It is just the right size to fit compact rooms and homes today.
- This is a split AC with 1.5 ton capacity
- Energy Rating is 5 Star, which means that you are saving on both costs and electricity consumption
- 3-step automatic fan speed option along with power chill
- Titanium appatite photocatalytic air purifying filter
- Econo mode
Both windows and split ac come with a long warranty period and benefits like remote control. So you can make a pick, based on your
Made in India but sold Internationally. Videocon is a brand that is technically competent with global products. It is exported to other countries across the world.
Founded in 1979, this major brand has emerged as one of the highest selling home appliances brands because of its affordable prices. Their air conditioners start at just Rs. 20,000 and go up to Rs. 68,000 for high-end models.
When it comes to value for money, you can pick from either the Videocon VSN55.RV1 -MDA Split AC or the Videocon VSA55.WW1-MAA Split AC. Both feature-
- A split ac with 1.5-ton capacity
- 5 star energy ratings
- Digital panel display with Remote Control and Temperature Control
- De-humidification option
However, the MDA purifies air, has 4-year warranty on compressor and is priced at Rs 34,250 while the MAA offers similar features at Rs 40,000. So the former is a cheaper option. Other models that you can consider here include
Located in Michigan, United States, this brand entered the Indian consumer market around 1987. And since then it has captured the essence of the home appliances zone giving some tough competition to its Asian neighbors.
One of the primary reasons for their air conditioner being so popular is the patented turbo cooling technology that provides high performance with minimum electricity consumption. Prices range from Rs. 33,000 – Rs. 56,000.
Comparing one of their most popular models – the Whirlpool 3D Cool Deluxe III Split AC, here are some key features-
- Split AC with a 1.5 ton capacity
- 1-year warranty is there on the product but you get a 5 year warranty period on the compressor
- The 3D cool multi air vent technology along with turbo cool cooling technology and 6th sense auto mode are standouts
- Self clean function
However, getting an energy rating of just 3 stars is a big con here. This means higher electricity bill. And at Rs. 35,000 you can surely get better models from other brands.
A South-Korean brand that has set up a strong hold in the Indian market for all the right reasons is Samsung. This private conglomerate has helped the Indian consumer get access to global technology.
Their air conditioners are all about being feature rich and technically consistent. Samsung gives you a blend of style, durability and affordability. Their ac’s are crafted based on the Indian humid climate with features that counteract the heat.
Ranging from Rs. 21,000 – Rs. 72000, not only are these air conditioners budget buys and durable, but also they are also feature- rich. Here is a gist of the popular Samsung AR18JV5NBWK Triangle-
- The air conditioner comes with 10 years warranty on compressor
- The Samsung air conditioner makes use of the innovative triangular design that adds towards enhancing performance and also helps in circulating air at a much faster pace. It reaches corners of your homes that are normally left out by regular air conditioners.
- The split ac range features a digital stabilizer free operation for easier use.
- Power mode to make cooling much faster.
- Priced at about Rs. 51,600 this one is sure worth the money for a 1.5-ton ac.
Now, there are other models available from Samsung too that come in lower ranges, especially their window ac’s continue to dominate the market. One of the biggest advantages of picking products from Samsung includes the benefit of easier part replacements, longer warranty and quick and efficient service.
Haier is a brand that originated in China and it is known best for selling affordable home appliance products that include a range of air conditioners in the window and split ac systems. The air conditioners from this brand are known for their quick production, which means it reaches millions of homes at a much faster pace. It also provides you with superior performance, excellent cooling and durability.
But a huge con is that most of the air conditioners from this company fail to go beyond the 3-star mark. Parts are easily available and there are many service centers available too. Most of their models range from Rs. 19,000 – Rs. 46,000.
In the 1.5 ton ac segregation, the Haier HSU-19CXAS5N Jet Series Split AC takes the cake.
Here are the main features of the same-
- It is a split AC with a 1.5 ton capacity and is priced around Rs. 36,500.
- It is one of the rare models that features a 5 start Energy Rating, which means that you are going to keep saving more in the long run.
- There is a one-year product or complete warranty with a 5-year warranty period for their compressor
- You get a 12 meter air throw along with benefits of auto restart and quicker cooling
- They also have an auto-intelligent turbo mode that makes it possible to heat and cool products.
Popular Haier AC models include HSU-18CKCS(R2D), the HSU-13CNFG5N, etc.
This popular Japanese company has featured, as a strong player in the list of the best air conditioner brands in India is Hitachi. This is a very famous electronics conglomerate that was formed around 1920 and hails from Tokyo, Japan.
Hitachi is best known for producing energy efficient air conditioners that are not only eco-friendly but also known for high quality technology along with longevity. There are a lot of benefits that their basic air conditioners offer like
- Kookie filter that is anti-bacterial
- Auto climate technology
- Remote controls with LCD display
- Price ranges from Rs. 26,000 with high ends models costing about Rs. 74,000
In their standard 1.5 ton capacity ac’s, there are two options available. One is the Hitachi RAV518HUD Summer QC Window AC priced around Rs. 32,500 and the other is Hitachi RAU518HUD Ace Cutout Split AC priced around Rs.38, 000. Both feature-
- 5 energy star ratings
- 1-year warranty on body and 5 year warranty on the compressor
- Auto climate technology along with additional features like dry and cool mode – depending on the weather condition, humidity control, auto power save mode, auto restart, timer and clock
- There is also a filter clean indicator in both along with low derating, my mode, etc. and other features.
You can choose between windows or split here depending on the size of the room, availability of space, etc. Other popular models from this brand include Kashikoi 400i, Zunoh 300f, Summer TM, etc.
#3. Blue Star
Another company that was founded in India around 1943, is Blue Star. Not only is it one of the oldest great ac brands in India, it is also features in the oldest consumer electronics companies that started here.
And air conditioners were one of their niche products right from the time they took off. It has catered to the needs of million of users and specialize in commercial and residential cooling. Their corporate range extends way beyond their residential air-conditioning services.
You can find the air conditioners starting at Rs. 21,000 and go up to Rs. 1,00,000 for specialist commercial models.
A popular model is their Blue Star 5HW18SA1 Split AC, which works really well for most homes because of their size and durability. The feature-rich model includes a 1.5-ton ac along with-
- Energy Rating of 5 Stars that makes it efficient on all technical fronts
- There is a one year warranty on product along with five years warranty on the compressor
- You enjoy the basic features like night glow buttons, auto start, timer, sleep mode, etc.
- A remote control is available with an LCD light.
- There is also a rotary compressor.
You can pick from a range of popular models here like
- CNHW09CAF 0.75 Ton Split AC
- 5HW12SC 1 Ton Split AC
- 3HW12FC 1 Ton Split AC
Blue Star remains to be one of the specialist companies for handling corporate enterprises and ensuring a uniform cooling zone.
Another big South Korean brand that has held sway over the Indian consumer market is LG. Along with appliances, LG air conditioners are on the top-selling list of ac’s in the country.
Affordability, quality and service are the blend that makes this brand a success. Their versatile projects suit all budgets with prices ranging from Rs 18,000 and goes up to about Rs77, 000 for the high-end commercial versions.
But for most residential purposes, you can get a great cooling device for about Rs 24,000.
Comparing LG with other brands in the list, their 1.5 ton LG LSA5NP5A L-Nova Plus Split AC remains a bestseller. Some of the key features here include-
- It is a Split AC with 1.5 ton capacity
- 5 Star energy ratings to manage costs
- 2 years warranty on product
- It comes with the patented Himalaya cool technology, smart airflow and faster vertical air swing option for better cooling
- It features a 3M micro protection filter that is able to trap harmful microscopic substances and give you clean and clear air
- The monsoon comfort technology for the humid seasons
These key features can also be seen in the other models like BSA18IMA, BS-Q186C8A4 and BSA12IMA amongst others.
Voltas ACs is one of the top Indian air conditioner brands in the market today. A veteran in the industry, it is a subsidiary of the Tata Group, which adds to the reliability factor. The company is based in Mumbai, Maharashtra.
You get the benefit of high performance levels along with the special ‘Weather Smart’ range of air conditioners.
Voltas is also a budget-friendly brand with rates varying from Rs 25,000 – Rs 56,000. Their most recent and perhaps the most popular current model would be the ‘New Voltas All Weather Smart AC Advantage’’. And as you may have guessed, it senses the outside temperature and adjusts the internal cooling accordingly.
Here are some of the key features of the same-
- You save up to 63% power as compared to other compatible air conditioners in the market.
- With a smart remote, you can just install the remote app in your mobile. So, no worries of getting up for the AC remote anymore.
- State of the art design, which adds to the aesthetic value of the house or commercial enterprise.
- Intuitive digital technology that adjusts temperature and thus reduces your electricity bills
- Other benefits include smart humidifier, faster cooling, eco-friendly refrigerant, etc.
Some of the other models that you can also consider from this company include the
Voltas Jade Y series along with Magna, Classic and Zenith – that feature 5 star energy ratings.
When it comes to quality, performance, energy efficiency and longevity – Hitachi works out to be the best. In terms of power cooling without compromising on the cost factor while O General is ideal since it has variations of both split and windows versions.
For commercial set ups, Blue Star is highly recommended because being an Indian company; they have been handling large-scale commercial set-ups on a budget.
Haier has also emerged as a trustable brand that is throwing a stiff challenge to the older boys in the market. But, there are still some issues they are grappling with related to their overall quality.
If you want to blindly know the best ac brands in India, we suggest Samsung and LG – these are still the safest bets.
We would love to hear which AC brand has your loyalty and why. Please leave us your opinion in the comments section below.