Before you enter the world of multi-player gaming, do you have multiple controllers, and how many of them are wireless, if you are confused about what to get and not to get, check out a list of all the accessories you can imagine for your Xbox here.
Now that you are ready and pimped, let’s talk about multi player games.
A brief overview and history of Multiplayer Games
Multiplayer video games enable more than one users to play the same game in the very same environment at the same time. Generally video games are designed for singular play and involve the pitting of a player against some pre-programmed and pre-defined challenges, or they come with computer generated opponents with Artificial Intelligence, but these opponents do lack the kind of flexibility in thought that humans have.
To create a better playing experience for gamers, multiplayer games were introduced which allow the players to interact with each other, these interactions may involve inter-player partnership or rivalry depending on the game.
This allows the players to have a kind of social communication which is completely absent in the games designed for single player. These games usually require all the players in the game to share a game system, with advancement in technology and networking, players can now play the same game at the same time over long distances.
There are two types of multiplayer games:
Non-networked: When these multi-player games were introduced, all were non-networked games played on a single system by two or more players. In 1973, the first platform on which real time multiplayer games were developed was PLATO system. The earliest two-player video games were predominantly sports games like Tennis and Pong, after that shooter games like ‘Spacewar!’ were introduced. The famous and popular games developed on this system were ‘Empire’, which came out in 1973 and the first-person shooter ‘Spasim’ in 1974.
Networked: Games with modes for networked gaming or as they are popularly known as ‘Netplay’, came much later, after the internet boom. The first video game to offer a LAN mode was released in 1991, it was Spectre and was designed and developed for Apple’s Macintosh. The next game which has to be mentioned as a pioneer of network play is Doom, which was released in 1993 and its first version allowed four players to simultaneously play on a network. Networked games using LAN for the connection do not have the problem of Lag which can be mortally frustrating.
Some multi-player games use email for the communication between multiple computers, these are called ‘Play-by-email’ games. Other network games in which players don’t need to be simultaneously online are called ‘Play-by-post gaming’ and ‘Play-by-Internet’ games.
Another kind of network game which is played by a huge number of gamers at once (Massively multiplayer). There are two types of massively-multiplayer game genres, these are MMORPG and MMORTS.
Here are the different types of Multiplayer online games, with the popular titles listed with them:
- Street Fighter series
- Ultimate Marvel v/s Capcom 3
- Mortal Kombat series
- UFC series
- WWE series
- NFL series
- FIFA series
- NBA series
- NHL series
Older online games
- Sega Meganet titles
- Minecraft series
- Battlefield series
- Resistance series
- Unreal Tournament series
- Quake series
- Team Fortress series
- Call of Duty series
Strategy video games
- Warcraft 3
- Plants v/s Zombies
Multiplayer online battle arena
- Defence of the Ancients
- Heroes of Newerth
- League of Legends
- Dota 2
The first console with the capability to allow its users to play with their friends over a network was the NetLink, it was released by Sega in 1996. After that in 1997 came Game.com and in 2000, the Dreamcast. All these consoles supported the use of LAN or internet for network gaming. Now mobile devices and handheld consoles even offer wireless gaming.
Of all the gaming consoles available today, Microsoft’s Xbox 360 stands out for multiplayer gaming, this can be attributed to its online service Xbox Live, which is the world’s largest and most lively gaming community.
Best Multiplayer Games for Xbox 360 (2016)
Below is a list of the most enjoyable multiplayer games available for Xbox 360, if you want to check out all the Multiplayer games available for the console, you can find a comprehensive list here.
Here is the list of best Xbox 360 multiplayer games out there:
#10 Street Fighter Series
Capcom’s Street Fighter or SF as it is commonly known as, is a multiplayer fighting game. The game showcases characters with different origins with each player having his/her unique style of fighting. Capcom released it for the first time in 1987 and has been its second best-selling game franchise loved all over the world. The different version of the game are:
- 1987 – Street Fighter
- 1991 – Street Fighter II series
- 1995 – Street Fighter Alpha series
- 1996 – Street Fighter EX series
- 1996 – Capcom Crossover series
- 1997 – Street Fighter III series
- 2008 – Street Fighter IV series
- 2016 (scheduled) – Street Fighter V
Now the game comes with additional multiplayer resonant modes like: Team Battle, in which up to 8 players can fight it out together; an Endless Battle mode, in which a group of 8 players are rotated again and again to fight each other. Originally panned by early critics for seeming like nothing more than a quick cash grab, Capcom certainly proved them wrong with the game’s success both online and in console arcades.
Latest Version: Street Fighter IV
- While it retains its old-school Classic “2D” gameplay, it comes with a 3D engine, and showcases stunning environments and characters
- It has a number of special moves that will blow any fan’s mind, these include: Focus attacks, Super Combos, and the Ultra Combo, which is fuelled by revenge
- Favourites like Guile, Chun-Li, Ryu and Ken have returned to the game with many new Street Fighter characters which were created exclusively for the latest version
- Many new amazing locations have been added to the game
- The developers have done an exquisite job of mixing the classic gameplay of this genre-defining game with newer unique gameplay systems
- It comes with additional online gaming modes which allow you to instantly connect to online challenges or play in a tournament etc.
Minecraft was developed by Markus “Notch” Persson as a single player sandbox video game, it was then picked by Mojang to be published across different platforms. The game creative depth of the game and the flawlessly fluent design of the game makes it very invigorating. It enabes its players to creatively use the environment provided and construct buildings using just but textured cubes. The game also offers activities like: gathering, exploration and combat etc.
Minecraft was first released for Xbox 360 in 2012 end, the title for consoles is co-published by 4J Studios. The first version of the game on Xbox was also a single player game, but soon multiplayer mode was added which became the most played multiplayer game on Xbox 360.
The popularity of this game is mainly due to the fact that it can be enjoyed by the whole family. The multiplayer mode of the game has garnered good reviews from vaious site like Metacritic which scored it to be 82, IGN scored it an overall 8.5/10.
- IGN Score: 8.5/10
- GameSpot: 7.0/10
- The new interface introduced is very compliant for crafting and is very easy to set up too.
- Some rate the game poorly on the graphics, but the visual satisfaction the iconic game visuals give, is very rare. The sound is also very good.
- Games borrowed from PC to consoles usually don’t satisfy the players, but the intuitive gameplay of Minecraft allows you to be as creative as you can.
- Getting addicted to it is easier than getting addicted to cocaine.
#8 Left 4 Dead Series
Left 4 Dead was developed by Turtle Rock Studios as a co-operative FPS. It has survival and horror elements. The game is published by Valve Corporation and it uses its in-house Source engine.
From the publishers of some great co-op games this one is set in the aftermath of a pandemic, which destroyed the world. It has four protagonists or the Survivors, which are pitted against a horde of infected people.
The different game modes available in the game are:
- Single-player mode: In this mode you control one of the four characters and all others are controlled by AI
- A four-player, co-op campaign mode: This is the most enjoyable mode, as you can play it with your friends
- An eight-player online versus mode: In this mode there are 4 boss Zombies or Infected people which are also controlled by players
- A four-player survival mode
Latest Version: Left 4 Dead 2
- It boasts of one of the finest co-operative gameplays. The tactical teamwork needed in the game makes it one of the best multiplayer game.
- Not only the gameplay in Left 4 Dead 2 has improved, the number of game modes available have increased too. The visual style has also seen an improvement.
- The game stands head and shoulders above any game, when it comes to the emphasis of teamwork and strategy, and treats the players with one of the best team-based multiplayer gaming experience.
#7 Red Dead Series
Red Dead is developed by Rockstar Games, it is a western styled action-adventure video game series. It is distributed by the company named Take-Two Interactive. The franchise which is distributed by Take-Two Interactive has sold more than 14 million units worldwide.
Games in this series include the following games:
- Red Dead Revolver is set in the late 1800s, the story follows the life story of Red Harlow, who is a bounty hunter. The plot is based on a revenge story, where Harlow finds out the plot and people responsible for killing his parents. It was originally designed and developed by Capcom, and then it was bought by Rockstar Games.
- Red Dead Redemption & Red Dead Redemption: Undead Nightmare – This is the second game of the series and its extension episode. The game takes place in year 1911. The gameplay, visuals, story and music of is terrific and is praised by critics and fans. The storyline follows John Marston, a former outlaw hell bent on exact revenge from his former friends and gang members.
The Good: The multiplayer mode of the game is an entirely different game experience altogether. It introduces the Rockstar’s trademark ‘free roam’ mode for the game, which can be thoroughly enjoyable. There are two modes of co-operative gameplay and a competitive gameplay, in the multiplayer mode, which allows up to 16 players.
#6 Forza Motorsport Series
Forza Motorsport is developed by Turn 10 studios, it is one of the most critically acclaimed racing game franchise. It is published by Microsoft Studios. The developers of the game wanted to create an emulation which is as near to the handling characteristics and performance of a real race car as possible.
The motorsport series had a limited accessibility, to overcome this, the franchise came up with Forza Horizon which attempts to increase its accessibility by setting the game in a racing festival, happening in Colorado, the racing festival is named ‘Horizon’. This series offers open-world environments which can be explored by the players. The realistic physics and the wide variety of cars available for the players makes the gaming experience very nice. The graphics of the game are top-notch and give that additional immersive experience.
The multiplayer mode is the strongest component of the series. This mode allows the players to completely customize their cars with designs of their own mind. The mode also has a multiplayer chase mode which is especially enjoyable.
The Game has two series in which there are a total of 8 games:
- 2005 – Forza Motorsport
- 2007 – Forza Motorsport 2
- 2009 – Forza Motorsport 3
- 2011 – Forza Motorsport 4
- 2013 – Forza Motorsport 5
- 2015 – Forza Motorsport 6
- 2012 – Forza Horizon
- 2014 – Forza Horizon 2
- The game boasts of high definition graphics and stunning realism with 60 fps latency
- You can feel the intensity and danger of racing at night under the bright lights in the stadium and utter darkness on the Le Mans’ stretch.
- The gameplay is developed to give you an immersive feeling, like when racing in heavy rain the vipers working at full speed can barely clear the windshield and the tires drift and hydroplane across puddles.
- You can tour up to 26 world-famous locales available in the game with 10 new tracks.
- The Forza Race Leagues give a feel of professional racing, on top of that the online spectating takes the competiveness of the game to an entirely different level.
#5 Battlefield Series
Battlefield franchise is developed by EA DICE and is an FPS. It is published by Electronic Arts. This series largely focuses on huge, online multiplayer battles. The latest title in the series contains a new theme of Cops v/s Robbers too.
Battlefield titles available for Xbox 360 include:
- Battlefield 2: Modern Combat
- Battlefield: Bad Company
- Battlefield 1943
- Battlefield: Bad Company 2
- Battlefield 3
- Battlefield 4
- Battlefield Hardline
The latest edition of the game is Battlefield Hardline. It comes with different modes, these include:
Heist: In this mode, criminals have to break into a vault filled of cash, then they have to move the stolen cash to some pre-planned extraction place. The police has to try to stop them from doing so. If the Criminals somehow manage to escape, they win otherwise the cops win.
Blood Money: This mode has two factions of players, both the groups have to retrieve cash from a crate placed somewhere in the map. Once they have done so, the players also have to move the money back to their armoured truck. You are even allowed to steal money from the armoured truck of the opposing team. The game can be won by depositing the stolen $5 million into their respective team’s truck, there a time limit mode available too, in this the faction which has collected more money in a fixed time limit is the winner.
Hotwire: This mode is like Conquest, in which you have to capture cars by driving your car above a pre-defined speed limit, this in turns bleeds the competitor’s reinforcement tickets. The team with the lowest tickets loses.
Rescue: This mode has 3 minute 5 on 5 competitions, in which the S.W.A.T have to try to rescue some hostages. To win, the cops have to rescue the hostages or kill all the criminals. Whereas, the criminals can win by murdering the cops. There are no respawns in this mode.
Crosshair: This is the second competitive mode in Hardline. Like rescue it is also 3 minutes, 5 on 5 with no respawns. In this mode the criminals have to kill a witness, who was formerly a gang member. They win if they are successful in killing the VIP. The cops have to get the VIP to a pre-defined extraction point to win.
#4 Call of Duty Series
The latest instalment in the Call of Duty series is ‘Black ops III’. Xbox 360 features two modes of Black Ops III: Multiplayer and Zombies. The game is set in a future timeline, with a new breed of Bad-ass soldiers. The game has not impressed the fans, as the game does not have a campaign mode and the graphics aren’t that impressive either.
The franchise is developed by Activision as a FPS game. Since its release on Xbox 360 with Call of Duty 2 in 2005 the series has sold more than 175 million titles, which amount up to sale worth over $10 billion.
The different games of the Call of Duty series are:
- Call of Duty
- Call of Duty 2
- Call of Duty 3
- Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare
- Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2
- Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 3
- Call of Duty: World at War
- Call of Duty: Black Ops
- Call of Duty: Black Ops II
- Call of Duty: Black Ops III
- Call of Duty: Ghosts
- Call of Duty: Advanced Warfare
The Good: Thought the latest instalment of the epic COD series has disappointed users, and has a Metacrtic user score of 5.4, but it still has a very slick and smooth gameplay, which has impressed specialists, and has garnered high rating from IGN (9.1) and Metacritic (8.1). The new ‘Specialist’ introduction is especially very. The un-lockable-s in this new version are crazy good, and have some seriously insane weaponry. A new perfectly enjoyable Zombie mode is also there if you can’t play multiplayer.
#3 Gears of War series
Gears of War: Ultimate Edition is the latest title of the series. This epic third-person shooter game is designed by Epic Games and developed by The Coalition.
The game experience of multiplayer mode of Gears is very different from other shooter games, and is very popular amongst critics and users same. It has garnered very high ratings from Metacritic, IGN and Gamespot. It has won many yearly awards too, all because of its cover-based combat which enables the players to think creatively. Games in this series are:
- Gears of War
- Gears of War 2
- Gears of War 3
- Gears of War: Judgment
- Gears of War 4
#2 FIFA series
FIFA 16 is the latest instalment of this sport game. It was released in late 2015, and introduced women players in the game for the very first time. FIFA Football/Soccer is designed and developed under the EA sports label, which is owned by Electronic Arts. The game was introduced on Xbox 360 with FIFA 06, but FIFA 08 was developed on a new game engine created specifically for Xbox 360 console system.
With each newer version the graphics of the game get better and better. The development team of the game comes up with a little better gameplay every time. As all titles of the series, 16 is very addictive, especially the multiplayer mode.
- The series has introduced a plethora of new innovative features in the latest version, these include: newer and better gameplay elements with better and more defined defending, better control in the midfield.
- Introduction of Women’s National Teams, FIFA 16 comes with the option of choosing from 12 Women’s National Teams: Italy, Spain, Brazil, Germany, England, USA, France, Sweden, Canada, Australia, China, and Mexico.
- The online community of the game has more than 15 million fans, this allows gamers to interact and compete with this humongous fan base.
- The live challenges in FIFA 16 are driven by real-world football news, you can compete and complete these challenges to earn rewards, which can be then used to unlock a number of in-game items.
- Games on similar lines which cater to different sports like: Ice-hockey, American football, and basketball deserve a mention here:
- EA sport’s Madden NFL 16 is an American football video game which emulates the National Football League.
- NHL 16 is a hockey video game, it is developed and published by EA Sports. This is the 25th instalment of this series of games.
- 2k Games’ NBA 2K16 is the latest title in the NBA 2K franchise, it is the best basketball emulation game out there.
#1 Halo Series
Halo is by far one of the most popular game titles out there, it has had a huge cultural and social effect, almost as much as Star Wars. Primarily it is a military sci-fi FPS video game franchise. It was originally created by Bungie, but now it is developed and managed by 343 Industries. The company is a subsidiary of Microsoft Studios, which publishes the franchise.
Storyline: The franchise basically follows the interstellar war happening between humanity and Covenant, which is a theocratic alliance of aliens. It is led by Prophets, which are the religious leaders who worship Forerunners, an ancient civilization which perished due to the parasitic Flood. Master Chief John-117 is the protagonist of the franchise, he is one of the super-soldier of the group of super-soldiers named ‘Spartans’, another main character is Cortana, John’s artificially intelligent companion.
“Halo” refers to the Halo rings, which are the large and habitable superweapons, which were created to destroy the parasitic Flood. The Halo franchise has sold more than 65 million copies.
The franchise has the following titles in its bag:
- 2001 – Halo: Combat Evolved
- 2004 – Halo 2
- 2007 – Halo 3
- 2009 – Halo Wars & Halo 3: ODST
- 2010 – Halo: Reach
- 2011 – Halo: Combat Evolved Anniversary
- 2012 – Halo 4
- 2013 – Halo: Spartan Assault
- 2014 – Halo: The Master Chief Collection
- 2015 – Halo: Spartan Strike & Halo 5: Guardians
- 2016 (scheduled) – Halo Wars 2
The latest title in the franchise is Halo 5: Guardians, but right now it is exclusively available for Xbox One.
- Firstly, you can enjoy the classic Halo combat mode, just as the previous versions of the game, just with better graphics.
- The new co-operative modes are thoroughly entertaining
- The new game mechanics, especially for movement are top notch and blends in perfectly with the game’s gameplay.
- New set-pieces introduced are brilliantly made
- The new Alien worlds introduced in the game with the Xbox One’s fantastic visuals make a very visually satisfying game.
- The Warzone and Arcade modes in the game are brilliant and heavily addictive
- The multiplayer mode is especially spectacular, the pace of the game never lets you put your guard down.
If you have any suggestions for the list, or you don’t agree with some title on it, don’t be a stranger and comment away in the comment space below.