Gaming experience on an iOS device is itself an adventure! Playing an adventure game on an iOS platform is a mind-blowing experience as it offers its users an array of colours and stunning graphics.
Everyone would remember the point and click adventure games that you used to be available on PC. Many of such sheer nostalgic games have now been converted to suit the iOS platform.
Thanks to the smartphone revolution, mobile phones and tablets have now become a source of entertainment moving beyond the function for which they were invented. With developers like Telltale Inc., Simogo, LucasArts etc., one could look out for the best games available on iOS platform.
With variety of games to choose from, there definitely has been an increase in the fan base of gamers on iOS. iOS devices owing to its rich colours & vivid user experience, brings alive the sheer joy of playing adventure games. Adventure games are now becoming more popular as compared to the traditional games as these give the gamers a life like situation to deal with! Thus going by the same, there are some wonderful adventure games, developed exclusively for the iOS platform.
Here, we list down the top 11 iOSadventure games for iPhones and iPad on the basis of number of downloads globally:
#11. Broken Sword II: The Smoking Mirror for $4
by Revolution Software Ltd., 99 Broken Sword II: The Smoking Mirror revolves around a scribe named Nico Collard, who comes across antique and prehistoric artefact while digging into information about a powerful gang dealing with drugs. Collard, along with her friend George Stobbart, have to face powerful forces and rivals who will try to stop them at any cost in every stage in order to achieve their evil desires.
- Spectacular music from world-famous composer, Barrington Pheloung
- Hundreds of mind-twisting puzzles and clues to gather
- More than 60 characters to deal and interact with
This game is highly recommended to Veteran Broken Sword fans and any other 2D adventure game fans (Grim Fandango, Monkey Island etc.) who may have missed the Broken Sword series. We not only recommend this game, but picking up the trilogy in a package if you don’t have any of the games already.
It’s a great deal and definitely worth playing this game. This game is definitely a great sequel to the earlier one!
#10. Gemini Rue by Wadjet Eye Games for $4.99
Gemini Rue is a non-linear adventure game that revolves around two man Azriel and Delta-six who are bought together only to recognize the fake world. During their journey, they realize that the journey for reclamation can change the fate of the entire universe. The best part of this iOS game is that one has to proceed through both the man’s stories until they reach a common story.
- Interesting puzzle presentation
- More than 60 hand-drawn backgrounds
- Innovative investigation system
- Limited gunplay control
- Switch between characters Azriel and Delta-Six
Definitely recommended for people who enjoy interesting sci-fi stories with good voice acting and story. Gemini Rue is a great reminder that the adventure games are a great way to tell a story and one does not have to be ambiguous and inundated with peculiar puzzles.
#9. Superbrothers: Sword & Sworcery EP by Capybara GamesInc for $4.99
Superbrothers: Sword & Sworcery EP is an extraordinary action-adventure game with an emphasis on audio-visual style. The game revolves around the character, a Scythian warrior, who is on a quest to find the mystic macguffin. The highlight of the game is the accelerometer which is incorporated into the gameplay.
The user has to turn the device 90 degrees to make the character take out their sword.
Like the Candy Crush Saga, the character can jump between the two worlds: “real” world and the “dream” world. One is allowed to play certain events and passages only when the moon is in a certain phase/stage.
It is exciting to see the moon taking different phases.
- Mystical musical mysteries to solve
- Marvellous atmospheric soundtrack by legendary composer Jim Guthrie
- Abstract puzzles and thought-provoking
- Minimalistic pixel art yet uncomplicated
Recommend Superbrothers: Sword & Sworcery EP to anyone curious enough to try rather meditative atmosphere. Superbrothers is best played on a tablet. Download now and get hooked between the two worlds!!
#8. Grim Fandango Remastered by LucasArts for $9.99
Grim Fandango Remastered revolves around Manny Calavera, a travel agent, who sells luxury packages to souls of the recently deceased to eternal rest.During the four year journey to eternal rest, Manny himself falls into a trouble that puts his very own salvation to difficulty.
Grim Fandango Remastered surely is one of the sought-after adventure game on the offer.
- Unique combination of film noir and Mexican folklore
- Dynamic lighting and artistic design
- Classic score re-recorded with full live orchestra
In conclusion, Grim Fandango Remastered is a title absolutely worth to be called a classic and definitely amongst the best iOS adventure game. Highly recommend to any adventure fan, at very least for the originality of the concept. If you are the one who is interested in horror stories, this is the game you should download now! Imagine your soul put to eternal rest!
#7. Device 6 by Simogo for $ 3.99
The game revolves around a woman, Anna who is stranded on a mysterious island with captivating mystery of technology and neuroscience. Throughout her journey to escape, Anna constantly comes acrossweird people and creatures who are either impassive or electronically and machine controlled.
In this game, the player uses buttons to deal with the game elements featured in black and white machines to get hints to solve a puzzle.
This game regularly requires you to flip-turn your iPhone or iPad upside-down.
- Plays with the convention of games and literature
- Includes text, image and sounds to guide the player
- Puzzles with hints making it easy to move
- strong design language for its sound and visuals
Device 6 is fantastic regardless of which iOS device you decide to play it on, despite the experiences being slightly different. Simogo’s come up with another unmissable game – an ingenious slice of puzzling adventure that’s as imaginative as it is stylish.
Whether you played Year Walk or not, you can’t let this one pass you by! This game has many awards to its credit.
#6. Machinarium by Amantha Design for $4.99
Machinarium is an award-winning independent adventure game by Amantha Design. The game revolves around a robot called Josef, who’s been thrown out to the scrap yard and save his robot-girl friend from Black Cap Brotherhood.
Machinarium is one of its kind as it has no spoken or written dialogue to convey the information to its gamers. This game uses a system of animated thought bubbles. If you are good at interpreting, then this a game you shouldn’t miss out.
- Amazing storyline with zero dialogue making the game more interesting
- Spectacular graphics
- Stunning background music
- Includes nostalgic minigames and Challenging puzzles with hints
The wordless presentation makes Machinarium a game that can be enjoyed by all-comers of any language, age, or skill with words. Recommended to everyone who is not afraid to use the gray matter between the ears. Machinarium is definitely a point and click adventure game worth downloading!
#5. The Silent Age by House on Fire for free
Winner of the 2013 Casual Connect Indie Prize, an exciting adventure game for iOS which revolves around the central character Joe, whose mission is to save the mankind using time travel.The game boasts of a compelling plot and beautiful minimalist graphics.
This game will surely keep you in suspense while solving those mind –twisting puzzles.
- 10 chapters with unique locations, characters and puzzles
- Best stylized visuals and soundtrack
- Logical puzzles requiring time travel
- Character voiceover brings the story and character to life
This game is perfect for players who want a point and click with more emphasis on story. If you’re looking for a fairly quick game to stimulate the mystery-loving part of your brain, absolutely give “The Silent Age” a try.
Second episode is now available!
#4. Year Walk by Simogo for $ 3.99
This game is based loosely on an old Swedish tradition called “Arsgang”. Year walking is a practice (largely found in Sweden) in which a ritual is performed by the walker through which they are given a glimpse through time at what the future holds.
The game revolves around the protagonist Daniel Svensson & his lover Stina. Game warns the user about dangers of Year Walking as Stina’s cousin had died while doing the same. However, Daniel engages in Year Walking and investigates the meaning behind it. Year walk surely is one of the top iOS game one would love to try!
- Built-in encyclopaedia about the mysterious myths and creatures encountered in the game
- New and Steam achievement puzzles with clues
- New locations within the game with map and updated art
This game is highly recommended for hard-core adventure fans and those interested in the peculiarly dark tales of Swedish folklore.
Venture out into the dark woods, solve cryptic puzzles and discover the journey to foresee the future. So what if you are not a Swedish? Experience the Year walk deep in the woods and get engrossed about the mysterious myths. Happy Year Walking!
#3. The Wolf Among Us by Telltale Incfor for Free
Based on the award-winning comic book series by Bill Willingham, The Wolf Among Us is one of the best iPhone/iPad game. As Bigby (as in Big Bad) Wolf, the Sheriff of Fabletown, it’s up to you to investigate a blood-spattered murder that has set the hidden fairy-tale creatures of Fabletown on edge. One does not have to really read the book to start the game.
- Five chapter series based on fables (DC Comics/Vertigo)
- Amazing storyline and music
- Flawless voice acting
- Realistic and likeable characters
- Episodic interactive mystery drama graphic adventure
About the Chapters:
- Chapter 1 – Faith –Bigby, the Sheriff of Fabletown is on the trail of a Killer after the murder of the first fable
- Chapter 2 – Smoke & Mirrors – Bigby continues to investigate the murder mystery and is looking out for the serial killer who is walking around the streets of Fabletown. While doing so, he tries to find answers from Faith’s pimp: George Porgie, and gets actively involved in the Beauty and Beast’s affairs.
- Chapter 3 – A Crooked Mile– Bigby is now in look out for Ichabod Crane, who is now in a hiding after a dreadfultruth is revealed.
- Chapter 4 – In Sheep’s Clothing– Bigby has to find the crooked man and deal with the criminals.
- Chapter 5 – Cry Wolf – Bigby learns the truth about the crooked man and Bigby is able to make decisions as the secrets are revealed against the crimes made by the crooked man against Fabletown.
The Wolf Among Us is a very captivating thriller which explores a darker side of the classic tales we heard as kids and dips everything in an insanely well designed neo-noire atmosphere, mixing the classic detective movies city the 1950s with a stylish 1980s appearance and music.
One of the best iOS game, this game is highly recommended to everyone who like story-driven games. One will have fun recognising every fairy-tale character who love to experience the life of a detective and unravel the circumstances which led to murder of innocent Fable characters.
#2. Game of Thrones by Telltale Games for $4.99
Based on the extremely popular HBO fantasy television series, the story of this game centres around the northern House Forrester, rulers of Ironrath, whose members, including the five playable characters, attempt to save their family and themselves after ending up on the losing side of the War of the Five Kings.
Throughout the game, the player controls one of the 5 family members or servants of the Forresters, with decisions made by one character affecting the others, and the ultimate fate of the house. The game includes settings, characters and voice actors from the novels and TV series. Game of Throne not only ruled the TV world but also is one of the best critically acclaimed top selling games on the iOS platform.
- Meet and interact with characters from HBO’s hit TV show
- Includes rewind feature where the player can back-up and alter a previous decision
- Take on the role of different members of the Forrester Household
About the Chapters:
- Chapter 1– Iron From Ice– This chapter revolves around the House Forrester, a family of nobles belonging to North Westeros. The family gets sucked into events where they must do everything to survive the impending doom. One can take the role of different members of Forrester Household and plan how you can save the house from destruction. The best part of this game is that the fate of the family members will depend on the action and resultant decision taken by you. The entire story revolves around the choices made by the player.
- Chapter 2 – The Lost Lords–The House Forrester is in dismay. The survival of the family depends upon those who are left. Mira Forrester, learnsto play the political games of Tyrion Lannister. Gared has to prove himself as a ranger in order to carry out the mission given to him. And Asher is called back to Westeros to help his family.
- Chapter 3 – The Sword In The Darkness – In this chapter, Asher, heads to Meereenin search of an army to take on the Whitehills. In Westeros, Mira must deal with the mortal politics of King’s Landing. Gryff Whitehill, fourth son, is out to prove himself. The Forresters have to make decisions. Finally, Garedlearns that he must head north if he is to help his house survive.
- Chapter 4 – Sons of Winter –This is the fourth episode in the Game of Thrones. In this episode, you would meet both old and new characters. The decisions taken by the player in the past will determine the future of the game world.
- Chapter 5 – A Nest of Vipers–In this second last episode, the actions of every Forrester are very important for the survival of the house. In this episode, the player has to make important choices like stabbing Ramsay or not, telling the truth to Tyrion or not, killing the traitor or sparing his life, and finally who should survive – Asher or Rodrik. This episode is worth playing as major decisions are made.
- Chapter 6 – The Ice Dragon – This is the final chapter in The Game of Thrones. In this episode, you will get to know the fate of Rodrik or Asher. This is the episode you would love to play again and again.
A player has to make important choices in all the chapters/episodes which makes the game more interesting. One learns to make important decisions and choices to help the House survive!
Highly recommended for the avid followers of the series on television. A must have for Game of Thrones aficionados. Experience the Royal tussle at its best! And the best iOS game ever made!!
#1. Walking Dead: The Season Two by Telltale Inc for Free
Based on Robert Kirkman’s award winning comic book series which allows the gamers to experience the true horror of the zombie apocalypse. Exciting game as one’s choices will affect how the story plays out during the entire series.
Walking Dead is the story of a young girl Clementine, orphaned by the undead apocalypse. This is definitely the best and the top iOS adventurous game one can vouch for!
- Five critically acclaimed chapters
- Interactive drama graphic adventure
- Involves meaningful decision making, exploration, problem solving and a constant fight for survival
About the Chapters:
- Chapter 1 – All That Remains– Clementine loses everything and is paralysed in a world of undead apocalypse. Clementine learns to live a life that gives new meaning to pain. Will Clementine be able to survive in a world which has gone mad with no one by her side?
- Chapter 2 – A House Divided – In this chapter, Clementine comes across new friends and enemies. She fights for her survival with an army of the dead along with one wounded companion.
- Chapter 3 – In Harm’s Way–Clementine reunites with her old friend Kenny and now becomes ahostage to a man. Clementine’s main objective in this chapter is to prepare the next generation for survival, through any sourceavailable to her. Will she and her friends be able to escape and survive in this world?
- Chapter 4 – Amids The Ruins–Clementine is now left with only a hatchet. Clementine’s only motive in this chapter is to find her group of friends who are now scattered amongst a flock of monsters who have been sent from the hell. Will Clementine be able to find her friends or will trouble face her friends first? Help Clementine in finding her friends!
- Chapter 5 – No Going Back–Clementine has to now protect the newest member in the group, Rebecca’s son and the other members she cares to stay alive. Will she succeed in this battle?
So experience the bone-chilling horror story unfold in this exciting gaming version. Download this game if you want to go on an emotional rollercoaster of a lifetime and live Clementine’s virtual life
Season three announced for walking dead adventurous players. This is going to be the best iOS much awaited launch!
While the above game mentioned are hand-picked by us, we could certainly say that these are the top iOS paid and free adventurous games thatare easily available at the iOS App store.
So what are you waiting for? Check out these interesting top iPhone /iPad adventurous games and come alive with it!
So spark your imagination, get invested in the story, and live the game.
Get set your fingers on the above mentioned time travel, murder mysteries and horror games with jaw dropping graphics and experience it like never before!