Every family needs to have a camera which can capture crystal clear images in a matter of seconds. After all, we’re all here to make some good memories, aren’t we? If you set out in the market to get one, the aspect of battery life, clarity and price becomes important.
Not to mention the wide array of other features that make every model special in its own way.
Don’t be disillusioned by the hefty price tag just yet; once you take the plunge, these cameras will prove their worth instantly and make your day every day.
So take a look at our list of the top DSLR cameras for under 2000 dollars, before you go shopping for one.
#10. Canon EOS 6D – $1,999
The Canon EOS 6D is a full frame sensor camera which is one of the best full frame camera available in the market. The canon EOS 6D is similar to Canon EOS 60D in control and layout. The new Canon sensor is used in this device, which offers 20.2MP count.
- The detail that is achieved in RAW files over the complete range of ISO is amazing.
- Nice JPEG noise reduction when you move towards higher ISO.
- There is a built-in GPS in the camera which comes with text log capability.
- There is also an option of in-camera RAW conversion of files.
- Battery life of the Canon EOS 6D is really good, and there is also the option of full manual control in video mode.
- There is no provision for dual card slot, so you get only one card slot to work with.
- Only 11 point autofocus array which is low, when compared to others
- The burst rate is slow when compared with other options in the market.
- You don’t have the luxury of a built-in flash, though there is a hot-shoe available for external flash.
- There is no headphone jack available for the purpose of audio monitoring
- The HDR mode is not available for any other format except JPEG
- The ISO range of Canon EOS 6D is from 50 to 25600 standards.
- It has 4.5 fps in continuous drive and weighs about 770grams
- The view finder has 97% of coverage with magnification being at 0.71x
- Minimum shutter speed is 30sec whereas the maximum shutter speed is 1/4000 second.
- It has 3 inch LCD screen
- Magnesium alloy and polycarbonate top plate has been used for body material.
#9. Canon EOS 70D – $1,999.95
This mid- range SLR for photography enthusiasts, might be considered as an upgrade of Canon EOS 60D. This is one of the best cameras in its class. No list of good DSLR cameras under #2000 can be complete without a Canon EOS 70D edition.
- The camera packs in dual pixel autofocus movie.
- Size and shape of the camera makes it easy to use.
- The shots taken at high ISO like at 6400 are usable, showing great high ISO performance.
- This device also has a feature of AF Micro adjustment.
- There is built-in Wi-Fi so that you can transfer your images without any hassle.
- Also comes with a built-in flash for times when you don’t have enough natural light.
- There is a silent shutter mode which helps in taking images quietly.
- The LCD screen can be adjusted, since it has articulating LCD screen.
- The presence of only one SD card slot limits your shot capacity.
- There is no level indicator which would indicate the pitch.
- The viewfinder on the camera is small in comparison to other models.
- The Wi-Fi setup is not user friendly and seems complicated to use.
- The camera is 20 mega pixels and the CMOS sensor size is APS-C, thus involving a crop factor.
- It has got about 6 white balance presets that can be used.
- There are various modes of autofocus that can be used while shooting to get the best results like Phase Detect, Multi-area, Centre, Selective single-point, Single, Continuous, Touch and face Detection
- There are 19 focus points available and the 3-inch touchscreen LCD screen has 1,040,000 dots.
- The optical view finder has a good coverage of 98% and magnification of about 0.95 times.
#8. Fujifilm X-T1 – $1,699
Fujifilm X-T1 is one of the best interchangeable lenses cameras available in the market that is being produced by Fujifilm. This camera is a mirror less one, and has been a popular choice of street photographers since its inception.
- This camera is more portable than other DSLRs, and the whole system is very handy and easy to use.
- The presence of analogue dials and switches makes shooting more fun.
- Image quality of this camera is really good and it makes almost no noise as it has a discreet shutter.
- In continuous shooting mode it can capture up to 8fps.
- The manual focussing aids present on this camera are really great.
- There is a nice option of in-camera RAW conversion.
- The presence of X mount gives you wide options in lenses.
- Built-in Wi-Fi gives you great options to send photos over directly.
- The video capabilities of this camera are poor and not up to the mark.
- Rear buttons are small and require some effort in using.
- The dial that locks the ISO is not so convenient.
- The camera is a 16MP shooter and it has an APS-C size sensor.
- It uses EXR processor II for processing images and other processing requirements.
- The ISO range of this camera is from 100 to 51200, and it also has white custom balance.
- There are 3 JPEG qualities present – large, medium and small.
- It has a TFT LCD screen which is 3 inches in size and has 1,040,000 screen dots.
- The shutter speed ranges from 30sec to 1/4000sec, and the flash range is up to 8.0m at ISO 100.
#7. Nikon D600 – $1,764.99
The much awaited Nikon D600 was launched in the recent times, and has been getting positive reviews worldwide. This model by Nikon is one of the best cameras available in the full frame category.
- The JPEG image quality is really great
- ISO performance is amazing in both low light and as well as high ISOs
- The dynamic range of the camera for RAW is really wide.
- It feels good to hold the camera, and the overall build quality is great.
- This gadget has the provision for dual SD card slot and it responds really fast.
- The camera is weather sealed, thus you don’t have to worry about the weather.
- Comes with a viewfinder which has 100% coverage, and it also offers in-camera RAW processing.
- The AF array coverage area is not large.
- The lack of histogram in live view is also a minus.
- This device’s LCD is prone to glare in bright lighting conditions
- And the autofocus in the live view is slow when compared with others.
- The camera has 24MP shooter and a CMOS sensor which is a full frame one.
- The Expeed 3 processor is used for processing purposes.
- It has 39 auto focus points and Nikon F lens mount is present too.
- It has a 12.0m flash range, with a maximum shutter speed of 1/4000 sec.
- This gadget comes with a mono microphone as well as mono speaker for video.
- The continuous drive can be shot at 5.5 frames per second.
- There are several metering modes like spot, average and centre-weighted.
#6. Olympus E-5 Digital Slr Camera(Body Only)- $1,800
Olympus is one of the leaders in making DLSRs, and has been the first choice for many professional photographers. The new E-5 DSLR is third in generation from the house of Olympus. This E-5 supports E-system lenses.
- The camera offers great resolution even at low ISO sensitivity, which helps one capture great details
- It has the option for 2 memory card slots, and you get to choose from a wide variety of Four Thirds lens range.
- Also offers in-camera Raw editing which is helpful for the user, and the camera can be customized to great lengths according to your requirement.
- The spirit level is a useful tool for photographs, and the body of the camera is rugged and made to last years.
- The colours that we get in JPEG are exceptionally good.
- The dynamic range is not up to the mark, and the auto focus in multi-point mode is not good enough.
- Some of the controls are hard to use.
- Frame rate in video mode is poor.
- The camera has 4/3 type of MOS sensor and a 12Mp camera.
- The image processor that is used is TruePic V+.
- There are various JPEG compression options available like SuperFine (1/2.7), Fine (1/4), Normal (1/8) and Basic.
- The ISO sensitivity is 200-6400 and there are 3 exposure steps, 1/3, 1/2 or 1.0 EV.
- Flash-x sync speed of this device ranges from 1/60s -1/250s.
- There are two colour spaces available to use – Adobe RGB and sRGB.
- The shutter speed starts from 60 sec and goes up to 1/8000 sec.
#5. Olympus OM-D E-M5 Mark II Micro 4/3 Digital – $1,929
This small and attractive camera from Olympus has been a revelation in the world of photography. This 16MP camera has a nice build, is easy to use, and packs a lot of features.
- The great dynamic range allows the camera to click great pictures.
- It is possible to customize the controls of the camera, making it easy to use.
- The image stabilisation that is available on the camera is one of the best in the market.
- Comes with an efficient view finder.
- The LCD screen is fully articulated which helps you compose your shots at different angles.
- The Auto focus of the camera is pretty quick, which lets you shoot fast without missing any critical moment.
- The resolution of the camera is relatively low, and the video output is poor too.
- It is also not easy to use the default auto focus settings.
- The camera menu is a little confusing and complex for understanding.
- The camera has a Four Thirds (17.3 x 13 mm) CMOS based sensor.
- TruePic VII is the processor that is used by Olympus to power the camera.
- The minimum ISO is 200 whereas the ISO at the maximum value reads 25600
- There are 7 white balance presets that can be used by the user, and 5-axis image stabilization notes in the camera.
- The uncompressed format of the camera is RAW, and there are 81 focus points which make auto focussing fast.
- There is also an option of Manual focus, and the TFT LCD screen is 3-inch large.
- The viewfinder is electronic in type and has a magnification factor of 1.48x
#4. Sony a7r -$1,898
Sony is one of the leading manufacturers when it comes to cameras. It has a long history of creating great electronic products. Sony a7r is a revolution in the world of mirror-less cameras. The high megapixel count of the camera makes it a really good choice for everyone.
- This camera is one of the lightest and smallest in the world of full frame sensor cameras.
- It has been built in a very nice manner.
- The electronic viewfinder has high resolution, so it becomes easy for you to compose and take your shots.
- There is a whole bunch of useful tools that are there like focus peaking and zebra pattern.
- The video output of the camera is also good and it has an option of charging through the USB.
- Another plus is the availability of microphone port and headphone port.
- The tilting option of the LCD helps you take shots even at tough angles.
- At times, the auto focus speed is slow in low light conditions.
- The variety of FE lenses is limited, and the lack of in-camera RAW conversion is also a negative point.
- Battery life is not good.
- The camera is made of magnesium alloy and it comes with 36 mega pixels.
- It is a full frame sensor camera where the sensor is of CMOS type.
- The processing is done by the Bionz X processor used by Sony.
- The ISO range is 100-25600.
- There are 1,230,000 screen dots on the LCD which is of 3 inches.
- The magnification of the viewfinder is just 0.71x
- Shutter speed of the Sony a7r is 30sec to 1/8000 sec.
#3. Sony Alpha a77II Mirror less Digital Camera -$1,598
The Sony a77II is a successor to the Sony a77, and it has been modified and upgraded from the previous cameras to give the user more features and tools at their disposal. Another solid addition to this list of the best DSLR cameras for under 2000 USD is the Sony Alpha camera which is mirror-less in nature.
- It has 12 frames per second burst rate, which makes sport and wildlife photography easy.
- The continuous auto focus feature works well while capturing stills and also during videos.
- Overall ergonomics of the camera are really great along with a decent build quality.
- The LCD is fully articulated which is a plus point.
- There is XAVC S codec which can be used to record videos.
- The steady shot feature also comes in handy while clicking images.
- There are less number of cross auto focus points
- The four way controller is a little difficult to use and headphone jack is lacking.
- The images that are taken at high ISO have a lot of noise in them.
- The maximum resolution that the camera offers is 6000 X 4000.
- The effective mega pixel count is 24 and the device come with CMOS APS-C size sensor.
- The manual ISO range starts from 100 and ends at 25600
- There are 3 custom white balance slots with 9 white balance presets.
- The various modes of auto focus that can be selected are live view, contrast detect, phase detect, tracking, single, multi area, centre and continuous.
- There are 79 focus points and the White Magic TFT screen is 3 inches in size.
- It has an electronic viewfinder with 100% coverage.
#2. Sony A77 24.3 MP Translucent Mirror Digital – $1,599
Sony has come up with this feature packed camera for enthusiast and semi-pro photographers. This 24MP shooter is one of the best in its class at such a low price.
- The OLED EVF in this camera is one of the best EVFs available in the market.
- There is a full time live view system to give you more control of your camera.
- The video resolution is also good, and there are various exciting features like Auto HDR and sweep panorama.
- This camera is solid, fits nicely in hand, and responds quickly.
- Battery life is also decent.
- The results at high ISO are not so great, as the results are very noisy.
- The lack of live view at 8 or 12 fps continuous shooting mode hinders the photographer.
- This gadget comes with a MENU system which is not user friendly.
- The camera packs an APS-C size Exmor HD sensor and the maximum image size is 6000 x 4000.
- Aspect ratios offered in this camera are 3:2, 16:9.
- Sony A-mount and Konica-Minolta AF mount lenses can be used in this camera.
- There are 19 phase detection AF points.
- There are 3 AF modes, Single-shot AF (AF-S), Continuous AF (AF-C) and Automatic AF (AF-A) selectable.
- A variety of scene modes are available including Landscape, Hand held Twilight, Sunset, Sports Action and Portrait.
- The ISO sensitivity range is 100 to 25600.
- The exposure compensation is from -5 to +5 EV.
- Shutter speed is 30 -1/8000 sec which allows you to chose the amount of light entering the lens.
#1. Sony A7 – $1,988
Sony a7s is a full frame sensor camera and is third in number model wise, when it comes to ranking full frame sensor cameras. This camera has been prioritised for movies but still it captures great images. Let’s have a detailed look at the pros, cons and its specifications.
- The video captured by this camera is moiré-free 1080p footage.
- It offers great image quality.
- Microphone and headphone ports are present, and the EVF is of high resolution.
- The camera can be charged through USB too, which is a useful feature.
- It has Wi-Fi, which allows photographers to shoot images remotely too.
- The auto focus is limited to contrast detect AF and there is no touchscreen.
- There also is no built-in flash so you will need to carry an external flash.
- The eye sensor on the EVF is highly sensitive and the battery size is small.
- The maximum resolution in which the camera can capture is 4240 x 2832.
- Effective megapixels are 12 in number.
- It has a CMOS type sensor and the camera uses primary colour filter array.
- There is also an option for custom white balance.
- This camera weighs 489 grams and has dimensions of 5 x 3.7 x 1.89 inches.
- There is also an orientation sensor present.
- It has got NP-FW50 lithium-ion battery and supports USB 2.0
- This device has a rate of 5.0 fps in continuous drive, which is useful for fast moving subjects
- The maximum shutter speed that it can go up to is 1/8000.
So here was our list of some great DSLR cameras for 2000 that are taking the market by storm today. Which one suits your personality the best? Do remember to research well before you take a decision.
Also let us know if we have missed out on a model which should be on the list. We will be glad to include your suggestions.