A camera is not just a camera; it is much more than that. A camera is a tool by which you capture memories so they can live forever and be passed on from one generation to another. Certainly, its innovation can be counted as a marvel.
Can you imagine a world without cameras today? They give the word ‘sharing’ a whole new meaning. And sharing is what families are all about, aren’t they?
We’re now living in the age of digital cameras which has revolutionized the way we click pictures and treasure moments. However, after dipping into the market, you will find that there are too many brands to choose from.
So here’s our list of the top digital cameras for under 100 , to make the shopping process a little easier for you:
#10. Kodak PIXPRO – Price $59.88
Kodak is an age old company in the world of photography; and undoubtedly their products are the best in class. They are now entering the digital world with their new range of digital cameras; the Kodak PIXPRO is one of their recently launched products. This is a point and shoot camera which is suitable for family outings and other celebrations.
- It has a 16.1 megapixel CCD sensor, which will allow you to crop your images and still have a great quality.
- You can now brush up your images with red eye removal.
- The camera has the option to auto focus.
- It has a nice range of ISO
- The camera is ultra compact in size
- It is easy to carry
- The image quality is restricted due to the small sensor size
- Fixed lens, so you cannot change your lens or use your other lenses with this camera
- Poor low light performance
- Small screen size of the LCD
- Video has a maximum resolution of only up to 720p
- Doesn’t support RAW format
- ISO range is from 80 to 1600
- Shortest shutter speed is 1/2000 sec and the longest shutter speed is 4 seconds
- It has 4 types of exposure metering Artificial Intelligence Ae (Aiae), Average, Spot and Centre-Weighted.
- Video formats that are available are MJPEG and MOV
- It has optical zoom up to 4x and digital zoom up to 6x
- It has an internal memory of 8mb
- It weighs 117gms and has a micro USB port.
#9. FujiFilm FinePix AX655 – Price $84.19
Fujifilm is a giant in the camera industry; it has been recognised and praised by photographers worldwide. Fujifilm with their wide range of mirror less cameras also offer compact point and shoot cameras, to cater to all kinds of customers in the market.
- High optical zoom
- Built-in flash to capture those dark moments.
- 1080p video recording
- Gives you the option of a 2Image shot which allows you to take images simultaneously one without flash and the other with flash
- It has a Panorama feature
- It is light in weight and is very portable.
- High ISO range
- It has an electronic view finder
- There is also a tripod mount available at the bottom of the camera.
- The camera fits nicely in hand.
- Very little lag while clicking pictures.
- It has various shooting modes like natural, portrait, beauty, sports, nights, firework, sunset, snow, beach, party and flower mode.
- It doesn’t give you the option of interchangeable lenses.
- It has a small sensor, so you will need to take into account the crop factor
- Low battery life
- The ISO goes up to 3200 from 100
- It is a 16MP camera
- The camera has a 2.7 inch TFT LCD screen
- Comes with 5x optical zoom to capture all the details
- It has a USB port
- It also has microphone and speakers for video recordings and playback.
- The camera is equipped with face detection, auto focus and exposure compensation features for clearer and better images.
#8. Nikon Coolpix S2900 – Price $99.99
This compact point and shoot camera has been launched by the photographer’s favourite company Nikon. Nikon is one of the largest manufacturers of DSLRs and SLRs; they have refined their work over various years. Nikon launches its camera Nikon Coolpix for people looking for really great point and shoot cameras. This is why it is a credible adversary of this list of the best digital cameras under $100.
- Very large megapixel sensor which allows you to get crisp and clear images.
- It can be carried around without any hassles as it is compact in size.
- It packs a CCD sensor.
- Very wide ISO range.
- Very fast and accurate while clicking pictures.
- Simple to use.
- It has a nice and intelligent user interface.
- Perfect partner for day to day photography.
- The macro mode is not up to the mark.
- Doesn’t handle noise better.
- Takes a little time to get fired up.
- 1/2.3-inch sensor which is of CCD type.
- The camera has 5x optical zoom to get the finest of details in any picture.
- Aperture range is f/3.2 – 6.5
- It also has contrast detect auto focus which helps you focus quickly and accurately.
- The frame coverage is of about 98% horizontal and vertical.
- It has an internal memory of 25MB and supports external memory cards.
- Supports JPEG format.
- It has a matrix and centre weighted exposure metering.
- The shutter speed ranges from 1/2000 to 1 second.
- It has a Li-ion rechargeable battery.
- The dimensions of the camera are 94.5 x 58.6 x 19.8 mm, which makes it easy to handle.
#7. PowerLead Gapo G051 – Price $57.99
If you are an adventure freak and also like to click pictures but are fearful about the longevity of your camera, then you need to consider buying PowerLead Gapo G051, this camera is adventure ready with its waterproof and dustproof features. It is a point and shoot camera designed to be used in adverse conditions
- Rugged and sturdy design allows you to use it in harsh conditions.
- It is water and dustproof, so you don’t need to worry about dropping it in the water.
- Can be used in temperatures as low as -10 degrees.
- Comes with a TFT LCD screen so you can easily compose your shots.
- It features high optical zoom.
- The various modes like Party, beach, sports allow you to click great pictures in any environment.
- Low megapixel sensor which limits the photo quality of the camera.
- Due to water and dust proof features the camera has been made weather sealed, so it doesn’t have a great looking design.
- The lens being fixed cannot be interchanged.
- Its design isn’t user friendly.
- Low internal memory requires you to carry an SD with you always.
- It has an internal memory of 16MB.
- The video resolution is not high and is just 640*480 Pixels(VGA).
- The ISO available to shoot with are 100, 200 and 400.
- It packs features like Image stabilisation for clear images, even in moving conditions.
- Waterproof up to 10 meters.
- It has USB 2.0 for high speed connectivity.
- The focal length of the lens is f = 8.15mm
#6. Ccbetter CS710 Sports Action – Price $42.79
Do you go out for a lot of sports and adventures? Are you always afraid to take your camera gear with you? Then you don’t need to miss out on those great opportunities anymore, and now you won’t ever miss any moment with Ccbetter CS710 Sports Action camera. This camera has been specifically structured and designed for people who love sports and want to click pictures as well.
- The camera is very light in weight which allows you to use it with you on the go.
- The camera being waterproof, you can now shoot images and record videos even under the water.
- Clicks good quality pictures
- Easy to handle due to case, and can be rotated with the help of its rotating panel.
- The camera will suit beginners.
- It suits people who want to record or shoot while playing adventure sports like cycling, diving, drifting, skateboard, skiing and surfing.
- It has a low ISO range.
- The LCD screen at the back of the camera is small.
- The looks of the camera aren’t good due to the fact that it has been weather sealed.
- It has a USB 2.0 port.
- It records video in 1080p resolution, which provides great video quality.
- The camera comes with a 1.5 inch LCD screen to review and click pictures.
- It is a 12MP camera which gives you a lot of detail in each and every image.
- The camera weighs 59gms which makes it easy to carry around, and it has dimensions as 2.8 x 4 x 9.2 inches.
#5. Sony W800/B – Price $88
Sony is a well known brand when it comes to camera manufacturers. And the Sony W800 is a compact camera most suited for everyday photography. This is a lightweight camera with thickness lesser than most of the other cameras in the category.
- The camera has an image stabilization feature which helps to click better images.
- Sony W800 is extremely lightweight, weighing only 125gm.
- It is enabled with face detection focusing feature.
- The 20.0MP high resolution sensor and 26mm wide angle lens ensure clearer pictures.
- The camera is enabled with the Panorama shooting feature.
- The biggest drawback of the camera is the lack of full HD video.
- It does not have wireless connection enabled.
- Lack of a touchscreen can make operations difficult.
- The camera lacks a built-in view finder.
- Maximum sensitivity of the camera is only ISO 3.200.
- The small LCD screen of 2.7” can make viewing difficult.
- The camera has a low screen resolution of 230kdots.
- Another drawback is the low max shutter speed of 1/1500s.
- The camera has a CCD sensor of 20MP -1/2.3” with minimum and maximum light sensitivity of ISO 100-3200.
- The zoom lens of the camera is a decent 26- 130mm F3.2-F6.4.
- The camera comes equipped with an optical image stabilization feature.
- It has a 2.7” fixed screen and a continuous shooting feature of 1 fps.
- The video resolution is 1280*720.
- The camera has dimensions of 50*22*54 mm.
#4. Canon PowerShot ELPH 160 – Price $99
Canon, the most sought after brand in the camera industry, launched the Canon Power Shot ELPH 160 in 2015. This compact camera is a good buy for a variety of photography purposes.
- The camera is very compact and lightweight, weighing only 127 gm.
- 20.0 MP high resolution sensors promise clearer and better images.
- The model has a good 224mm Tele lens for amazing photography.
- It has an image stabilization feature which can improve the quality of images.
- The camera is enabled with face detection focusing feature.
- The camera does not support the wireless connection feature.
- Lack of an external flash shoe is a disadvantage.
- A major drawback in the camera is the lack of full HD video.
- The camera lacks a touch screen.
- The maximum sensitivity of the camera is only ISO 1.600.
- It is not equipped with the RAW shooting feature.
- The small LCD screen of 2.7” can make viewing difficult.
- The camera lacks the Panorama shooting feature.
- It has a low screen resolution of 230kdots and the battery life is only limited to 220 shots.
- The camera has a CCD sensor of 20MP -1/2.3”, with minimum and maximum light sensitivity of ISO 100-1600.
- The zoom lens of the camera is a good 28- 224mm F3.2-F6.9.
- The 2.7” screen is of a fixed type.
- The camera has a continuous shooting feature of 0.8 fps and the video resolution is 1280*720.
- The camera is also known as IXUS 160.
#3. Panasonic Lumix DMC-TZ5S- Price $78.99
The Panasonic Lumix DMC-TZ5S Digital camera is a compact camera with stylish features. It can be used for a variety of shooting and photography options.
- With 9.0 megapixels resolution, the camera is capable of producing high quality images.
- Equipped with powerful 10x optical zoom, the camera can be used for shooting broader landscapes.
- The camera has an easy zoom button, which makes using the optical zoom easier.
- The Mega Image stabilizer offsets movements while clicking pictures..
- The camera has 22 scene modes which make it suitable for a number of shooting situations.
- It comes with a face detection feature which allows face focus, so that faces appear well lit.
- The camera has a built in memory of 27MB which is expandable.
- You can print pictures directly from the camera without using a PC.
- A major drawback is that the camera lacks a wireless connection.
- It does not have a touchscreen too.
- The camera lacks RAW support and the manual focusing and manual exposure feature.
- It does not have a time lapse recording feature.
- The camera lacks 4K photo mode and post focus mode.
- The camera boasts of a 10x Leica zoom lens.
- It has a self timer of 2 seconds and 10 seconds.
- The camera has an optical image stabilizer feature and a sensor of 9.1 megapixels.
- It is equipped with HD movie recording feature and has 22 scene modes.
- Dimensions are 2.33”*4.07”*1.44”, making it a compact camera.
#2. Samsung ST72 – Price $68.99
The Samsung Smart ST72 camera is compact yet equipped with many features. It has a sleek design and is one of the thinnest cameras at present. The CCD image sensor ensures clearer pictures. It is one of the best point-and-shoot cameras available in the market.
- The camera has a wide aperture of f/2.5 which ensures better quality images.
- It is very compact and lightweight, weighing only 108 gm.
- The camera stitches together multiple photos in a panorama, and its 7.6 cm screen ensures a better display.
- Battery life is good and can last up to 320 shots.
- The camera has an image stabilization feature which ensures better images.
- The screen has a low resolution of only 230k dots.
- The camera has a below average zoom of 5x.
- Maximum light sensitivity is only 3.200 ISO and the camera lacks a built in HDR.
- It is not waterproof.
- The screen is fixed which reduces flexibility, and the camera lacks a touchscreen.
- RAW support is missing.
- The camera has a CCD sensor of 15.9 MP, with sensor size 1/2.3”6.16*4.55mm with maximum light sensitivity of ISO 3200.
- The zoom lens of the camera is a decent 25- 125mm with apertures F2.5-F6.3.
- The camera comes equipped with an optical image stabilization feature.
- It has a 7.6 cm fixed screen and the sensor resolution is 9.7 MP.
- Dimensions are 94*58*18 mm and the camera has a built in flash to shoot in low light.
#1. Kodak Easyshare Z740 – Price $59.95
No list of good cameras under 100 USD can be complete without a Kodak edition. The Kodak Easyshare is another digital camera from a world renowned brand. It is convenient to use and facilitates sharing of pictures and videos through various mediums. It enables point-and-shoot operations and has accurate exposure for clearer, brighter pictures.
- Facilitates sharing of images via different media.
- Zoom lens of 10x gives better quality pictures.
- The camera has a good battery life and burst photography mode.
- It has USB cable for establishing connection with a computer.
- The camera has three colour settings, with black and white and sepia colour modes.
- It has Digital Print Order Format compatibility.
- The movie mode of the camera is mediocre.
- The camera does not have a real wide angle.
- The 5.0 megapixel CCD is capable of capturing images up to 2567*1932 pixels.
- The camera has an optical viewfinder and a 1.8 inch LCD screen.
- It has a 10x lens for better quality pictures.
- The camera has a 5x digital zoom and comes with five settings and white balance.
- Maximum aperture of the camera is between f/2.8 to f/3.7.
- A built-in flash is present.
- It can go from shutter speeds 1/1700 in 8 seconds.
- It has a 32 MD internal storage with optional card storage.
- The easy share platform works on both Windows and Mac platforms.
- The camera has an EasyShare printer dock included in the package.
- It comes equipped with an accessory lens thread.
A camera is something which will ideally live long in your family. It is perhaps the only gadget with an emotional connect, something which binds us people and our memories together. Hence, make a smart choice before you take the plunge. Don’t be fooled by the bucket loads of options available in the market, and consider the price tag before opting for a particular edition.
Have We Missed Out On Something?
So, here was our list of some great digital cams for 100 dollars. If you think we’ve missed out on a particular camera which deserves to be on this list, then do reach out to us and we will be happy to listen to you.